“EVEN THOUGH I DON’T WANT TO SAY IT…” Stewart-Haas Racing’s team principal broke down in tears as he was forced to reveal Ryan Preece’s dire condition following his latest surgery

“EVEN THOUGH I DON’T WANT TO SAY IT…” Stewart-Haas Racing’s Team Principal Breaks Down in Tears Revealing Ryan Preece’s Dire Condition After Latest Surgery

By Motorsports Insider | May 21, 2026

In an emotional and deeply somber press conference at Dover International Speedway, Stewart-Haas Racing team principal Tony Stewart fought back tears as he delivered a sobering update on driver Ryan Preece’s condition. The veteran NASCAR leader, known for his toughness and straightforward demeanor, struggled to maintain composure while addressing the media.

“Even though I don’t want to say it… I have to be honest with all of you,” Stewart said, his voice cracking as he paused to collect himself. “Ryan’s condition is more serious than we initially let on. He’s a fighter, but this crash took a hell of a lot out of him.”

The 35-year-old Ryan Preece remains hospitalized in serious but stable condition following multiple surgeries after a violent multi-car crash during last Sunday’s race at Dover International Speedway. The incident occurred on lap 142 when a tire failure on a car ahead triggered a chain-reaction pile-up in Turn 3. Preece’s Ford Mustang slammed into the outside wall at high speed, then was violently collected by another car, causing his No. 41 machine to flip onto its roof before erupting in flames.

Safety crews responded swiftly, but it took nearly 18 minutes to extract Preece from the heavily damaged car. He was airlifted to a trauma center in critical condition with multiple fractures, internal injuries, and suspected spinal trauma.

The Latest Medical Update

During Thursday morning’s emotional briefing, Stewart revealed that Preece underwent a fourth surgery late Wednesday night to address complications from pelvic fractures and swelling around the spinal cord.

“The doctors had to go back in because there was more internal bleeding than they expected,” Stewart continued, wiping his eyes. “Ryan has fractures in his pelvis, right femur, and several vertebrae. There’s also significant concern about nerve damage. He’s been in and out of consciousness, and right now, the next 48 to 72 hours are critical.”

Stewart-Haas Racing initially issued optimistic statements earlier in the week, describing Preece as “alert and responsive.” However, the team principal said the full extent of the injuries became clearer only after further diagnostic imaging and the latest procedure.

“Ryan is one of the toughest guys I’ve ever met,” Stewart added. “But this one… this one is tough. We’re asking everyone to keep him and his family in your prayers.”

A Career Defined by Resilience

Ryan Preece, a native of Berlin, Connecticut, has built a reputation as a gritty, blue-collar racer who rose through the ranks of NASCAR’s lower series. After winning the 2018 Xfinity Series championship with Joe Gibbs Racing, Preece joined Stewart-Haas Racing in 2020. Known for his dry humor and fearless driving style, he earned respect across the garage for his work ethic and loyalty.

Preece’s 2026 season had shown strong promise, with consistent top-15 finishes and a career-best qualifying effort at Talladega. His performance had renewed hopes that the No. 41 car could contend for a playoff spot.

Now, those hopes are on hold as Preece fights for his health — and potentially his racing future.

Family members, including his wife and young daughter, have been at his bedside since the crash. A close friend of the family told reporters that Preece briefly woke up after the latest surgery and managed to squeeze his wife’s hand, a small but meaningful sign that gave loved ones a glimmer of hope.

Outpouring of Support Across NASCAR

The NASCAR community has rallied strongly around Preece. Drivers from across the grid have visited the hospital or sent messages of support.

Denny Hamlin posted on social media: “Ryan is one of the good ones. He’s tough as nails. Sending all my strength to him and his family.”

Joey Logano, a fierce on-track rival, said: “We race hard against each other every week, but at the end of the day we’re brothers. Ryan, keep fighting brother.”

NASCAR Chairman Jim France also issued a statement: “Our thoughts and prayers are with Ryan Preece and his family. The safety of our drivers is always our top priority, and we will continue to review every aspect of this incident.”

Fan reactions have flooded social media, with the hashtag #PrayForPreece trending nationally. Many supporters have left flowers, cards, and messages at the entrance to Dover International Speedway.

The Human Cost of Racing

This latest incident has reignited conversations about safety in NASCAR, particularly regarding high-speed impacts at tracks like Dover — nicknamed “The Monster Mile.” While the sport has made tremendous strides in driver safety since the tragic death of Dale Earnhardt in 2001, crashes of this magnitude continue to remind everyone of the inherent dangers of motorsports.

Team principal Tony Stewart, a three-time Cup Series champion and former driver himself, spoke candidly about the emotional toll on the team.

“We prepare for these things, but you’re never really ready when it’s one of your own,” he said. “Ryan isn’t just a driver to us. He’s family. Seeing him like this… it’s hard. It’s really hard.”

As of Thursday afternoon, doctors have described Preece’s condition as “serious but showing slight signs of improvement.” He remains heavily sedated to allow his body to heal from the multiple traumas.

What’s Next

Stewart-Haas Racing has not yet announced a replacement driver for the upcoming races. Veteran Kurt Busch, who has previously filled in during injury situations, is rumored to be on standby.

For Ryan Preece, the road to recovery will be long and uncertain. Medical experts not directly involved in his care have noted that pelvic and spinal injuries often require months — sometimes years — of intensive rehabilitation.

In his final comments to reporters, a visibly drained Tony Stewart left the room with a simple but powerful message:

“Ryan has always been a fighter. Now he’s in the biggest race of his life. And we’re all in his corner.”

The entire NASCAR world will be watching closely in the coming days, hoping for positive news about one of its most respected and determined competitors.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *